While your author has been surprised at the rapid rate of adoption of blogging among the PR community, every couple of months we still come across a case that highlights that PR people still can’t use the most basic technology effectively.
The latest case is from the Irish Stock Exchange, which sent out a press statement on the largest insider dealing case in the history of the exchange. The first mistake was they sent it as an attachment and the second was that they didn’t check the document for tracked changes. While most of the edits were mundane there were apparently some juicy positioning tidbits towards the end. Of course I have to point out that (ahem) upgrading to the latest version of Microsoft Word reduces that risk and secondly some rudimentary computer training might also negate the same risk.
More on tracked changes:
- Tracked Changes [PR Opinions](from 2003)
- Alcatel’s Error of Inclusion
- Online Document Search Reveals Secrets [New Scientist]
- Free tool to remove Tracked Changes [Microsoft]
- Another example…
- Posting Information Online [PR Opinions]